Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Going right to the source

In my constant attempt to find a goaltending controversy (there, I said it), I headed over to Brossard today to ask the man himself, Carey Price, what he thought on the subject.

Here's my story on what he had to say, with the best quote being:

“He’s on a streak right now. He’s been playing well, so he deserves his playing time.”

That's the official, non-opinionated version I had to produce for CP. But while Price's lips were moving and all the right words were coming out, his body language today was a whole other story. Before I go on, I should say that at the best of times Price is not Mr. Jolly with reporters, but today I got a real sense that he was annoyed and somewhat frustrated with the situation.

That doesn't mean he was insincere in what he said, I believe he actually does think all that stuff about thinking of the team first while it's winning games. But at the same time, he ain't no stinkin' backup, and I couldn't help but feel that was the thought running through his mind.

I don't know that for a fact, it's just an impression I had. But aside from that, the main player in my imagined goaltending controversy says he doesn't think there is one, so I should cease and desist.

"It’s still early in the year, we still have a lot of time, there’s not any rush," Price said. "The guys are playing well right now so we can’t really change things up. I just need to keep working and just wait for my time."

We'll see if he thinks the same thing if, somehow, he doesn't get the start Saturday against Toronto, or even Friday in Chicago should Halak lose in Pittsburgh (yes, I'm assuming Martin will name Halak the starter. Do any of you think differently?)

On that note, a good friend of mine and regular reader of the blog called me up today to point out some research he did recently, simply because he was growing tired of my continued insistence on the existence of some sort of controversy. He looked up the number of games Patrick Roy played per season early in his career, and he averaged just over 48 games played per year from Year 2 of his career to Year 6.

Brian Hayward, in his four years in a Habs uniform, averaged just over 35 games played per season, and that relationship worked out just fine, so maybe this one can as well.

I've had a ridiculously long day, so I'll leave you with this. Mike Cammalleri was being asked after practice about whether he was surprised with the play of Glen Metropolit, who was kept away from the practice rink today so he could tend to his flu, though he was supposed to take the flight with his teammates to Pittsburgh this afternoon.

Cammalleri played with Metropolit on the 2006 Canadian world championships team, a year when Metropolit was playing in Lugano of the Swiss Elite League. Cammalleri says when he saw Metropolit play, it instantly reminded him of his L.A. Kings teammate at the time Derek Armstrong.

"Maybe he’s not the fastest guy, maybe he’s not the biggest guy, maybe he wasn’t a top pick so he doesn’t really get the opportunities that other guys got to play at this level," Cammalleri said. "But when you get on the ice with them and they’ve got the puck on their stick and they have to make the play, they make the play. Metro’s that guy, so it doesn’t really surprise me. But I also saw him earlier and joked with him that he's on pace to get 100 (points). If he gets 100, that will surprise me."

That's the best description of Metropolit's game I've heard to date. He simply gets it done.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

metro has been a pleasant surprise. he is the quintessential rink rat. one of those guys who can just play. not super athletic just a gutsy, all-around player. fun to watch.

Anonymous said...

Patrick Roy and Brian Hayward... Ah, those Jennings Trophy years. Awesome.

ps. Riel, get your own blog.

Kyle Roussel said...

If Price wasn't annoyed at the current situation, I'd be very concerned. I hope your call on his body language is right.

I also hope that he is showing more of a sense of urgency in his work ethic at practice that will materialize on the ice. His nonchalance can be aggravating as it always seems like he doesn't really invest himself in the games.

pierre said...

Metropolit as very good hands, good puck control skills and vision... the type of skills not usually find in abundance in most team's depth lines unless we are talking the Red Wings philosophy of building teams skill deep while drafting and developping accordingly.

The " puck possession " game and principles originated in Detroit during the mid 90' and it is no surprise that this system is best played by a team that is deep in talent and skills.

The Wings were ahead of everyone when they entered the new NHL era after the lock-out..... we were pretty good too skill wise but unlike them we wasted 4 years before getting our philosophy, our coaching staff and our playing system just right.

Deplorable as it was I hold no gruges against Gainey.... not after the improbable " tour de force " he so skillfully managed to accomplish within a single inter-season as he just did..... everything I was longing for ... HERE ... in a nick of time.

Gainey is on a roll and our organization has never looked as good since years.

The firing of Carbo was a crucial first step, the hiring of Martin was huge while the roster changeover was as daring as it was magistrally well executed, the hiring of Guy Boucher for Hamilton was as sound as it was visionary while our draft's choices of this summer will I believe yield a very hight return of talents perfectly profiled for our ways and new direction...... althought mountains had to be moved to get us where we are today.... it all started gently when you think of it..... the grabbing of Metropolit from waiver by Gainey was astute if not spectacular.... as we now know Bob was just warming himself up.... slowly getting himself into mountain moving shape.

nk said...

a bit of a tangent but it's nice to read an online tsn article written by someone who knows and understands the team. thanks arp.